Re: Emacs slow away from home

From: Dirk-Jan C . Binnema
Subject: Re: Emacs slow away from home
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 00:55:08 +0300

Hi Ron,

  RH> I have been using emacs on my laptop under linux for a long time, but I
  RH> have just noticed that if I open emacs when I am away from home, it
  RH> takes something like 2 minutes or more to start up.

  RH> At home it is a second or two.

  RH> I can only think that this is somehow related to being out of range of
  RH> our home network. Since I only use emacs to edit files, I can do without
  RH> whatever internet services it is trying to access.

  RH> Can anyone suggest how to fix this problem?

  RH> In case it is relevant, here is what emacs says about itself:

  RH> GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
  RH>   of 2008-11-10 on raven, modified by Debian

Hmmm, possibly *some* package is doing some lookup on the network. A good to
start to identify this package is to check what it's trying to connect to.

Maybe you can try to start emacs using 'strace', and see what it's waiting
for?

What happens if you bring down the network interface?

Good luck,
Dirk.

--
Dirk-Jan C. Binnema                  Helsinki, Finland
e:djcb@djcbsoftware.nl           w:www.djcbsoftware.nl