Re: [IPython-User] launch/run IPython in emacs buffer

From: Richard Everson
Subject: Re: [IPython-User] launch/run IPython in emacs buffer
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 21:06:16 +0100

Tom,

> * I'd like also to be able to open an IPython buffer from anywhere (in
>  emacs), since I often use IPython as a calculator and scratchpad.

M-x py-shell

will get you a new (I)Python shell.

> 1 fix M-p in IPython in shell-mode. When I run IPython in emacs shell
>  mode (i.e. running `ipython` from a prompt after running `M-x shell`),
>  IPython runs (with correct prompt, thanks Andrew Wilson). But when I
>  attempt to scroll IPython history (with M-p at the IPython prompt), I
>  instead get bash history. Is there a way to make shell-mode pass the
>  M-p event to IPython?

This works for me in the sense that I get history from emacs (via comint)
rather than IPython's history, which works pretty well.  It sounds to me as if
comint (which is responsible for running IPython) is picking up your bash shell
history. In fact if I have a running IPython shell and then start a new zsh
with M-x shell, type a couple of shell commands to the shell and then use M-p
to get the history,  I get the shell commands and followed by my most recent
IPython commands and switching buffers to IPython and using M-p gives me the
shell commands and then the IPython history.  It looks to me as if you might do
something like what's on the emacswiki:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UsingMultipleShells , but I'm afraid I haven't
time right now to try it.

Best,