Re: emacs 23 display slow over cable modem

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs 23 display slow over cable modem
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 09:06:51 -0400

> From: Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net>
> Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 23:27:25 +1100
>
> If you can live without the better fonts you can still turn on the core font
> backend after install[1] and just use that.
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  Read the manual, I don't actually know how, I fear. :)

>From the NEWS:

   *** Which font backends to use can be specified by the X resource
   "FontBackend".  For instance, to use both X core fonts and Xft fonts:

   Emacs.FontBackend: x,xft

   If this resource is not set, Emacs tries to use all font backends
   available on your graphic device.

   *** New frame parameter `font-backend' specifies a list of
   font-backends supported by the frame's graphic device.  On X, they are
   currently `x' and `xft'.