Re: notifications-notify resets idle-time

From: Peter Münster
Subject: Re: notifications-notify resets idle-time
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 16:42:58 +0100

On Mon, Feb 13 2012, Michael Albinus wrote:

> I was too hasty: I've copied the *Messages* buffer before the
> notification did expire. No error at all.

That means, that ":timeout 1000" did not work for you...!?

> It is not NotificationClosed specific. I would rather say that is due to
> the nature of D-Bus events, handled via `special-event-map'. I guess that
> all events defined in that map will reset the idle timer.

Yes. It would be good, if there was a method to filter these events.
(perhaps there is already, but I don't see it...)

> I still don't understand why it disturbs you. Could you, please, explain
> your use case?

On the one hand, I use `gnus-demon-add-handler' for several actions,
that need to be done repeatedly and only when idle for at least some
minutes.

On the other hand I use
    (setq appt-disp-window-function 'pm/todo-notify ; popup notify-windows
          appt-display-interval     1)
and
    (org-agenda-to-appt t '((headline "TODO")))
in such a way, that the notification windows are refreshed once per
minute (":timeout 60000"). This is nice, because I don't need to click
on the notification window, I just edit my org-mode-todo-list (switch
an item from todo to done), and the notification window will disappear
automatically in at most 60 seconds.

But when I'm idle, and once per minute a notification windows expires,
the gnus-demon won't activate my handlers, because the idle-time is
always reset, and this can be annoying.

I admit, that this use case is quite particular and I don't expect emacs
developers to fix it. Nevertheless, I'm going to fill a bug report, just
in case.

In the meanwhile, I've patched my notification-daemon, so that it does
no more send any event, when windows expire (ugly work-around, but I
don't need to touch emacs).

--
           Peter