'error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-siz

From: Vladimir Ulyanov
Subject: 'error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size' on gdb-display-memory-buffer
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:54:34 +0200

Hello Gentlemen,

Today I was debugging my helloworld code. Launched gdb (M-x gdb then
M-x gdb-many-windows), opened memory buffer (M-x
gdb-display-memory-buffer), breaked _start, ran and did several si
commands.
 after setting breakpoint to _start section of my assembly code the
error message 'error in process filter: Variable binding depth exceeds
max-specpdl-size' apears and the memory buffer is empty.
Please look at the screenshot here: http://ompldr.org/vZzJkeQ.

Emacs version:

emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.2.1

Assembly 'hello world' code:

; build using these commands:
; nasm -f elf -g -F stabs eatsyscall.asm
; ld -o eatsyscall eatsyscall.o

SECTION .data       ; section containing initialized data

EatMsg: db "Eat at Joe's!", 10
EatLen: equ $-EatMsg

SECTION .bss        ; section containing uninitialized data
SECTION .text       ; section containing code

_start:
    nop             ; this no-op keeps gdb happy
    mov eax, 4      ; specify sys_write syscall
    mov ebx, 1      ; specify file descriptor 1: standard output
    mov ecx, EatMsg ; pass offset of the message
     mov edx, EatLen ; pass the length of the message
    int 80H         ; make syscall to output the text to stdout

    mov eax, 1      ; specify exit syscall
    mov ebx, 0      ; return a code of zero
    int 80H         ; make syscall to terminate the program

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open an asm file (C-x C-f <filename>.asm)
2. Switch to gdb mode (M-x gdb)
3. Switch to gdb many windows mode (M-x gdb-many-windows)
4. Open gdb memory buffer anywhere (M-x gdb-display-memory-buffer)
 5. Set breakpoint to _start section (break _start)
6. Run program from _start section (run)
7. Step to the mov eax,4 instruction (type si several times)

Also I would like to know how can I set pointer to executed
instruction in the source window of assembly. In my case (look at the
screenshot) an arrow points to _start only.

--
Vadym