Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: Bind right shift and TAB won't work
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 02:33:47 -0600

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Peter Dyballa writes:
> > C-h k, I think, can be fooled when you have a keyboard translation
> > active (so best used when GNU Emacs is launched with -Q).
>
> The result is still TAB (and only TAB).

If you are using a terminal emulator then the result depends upon the
emulator.  Xterm for instance sends Shift-TAB as an ESC [ Z terminal
escape sequence.  Many others to do.  But some do not.

> > The lowest level, besides using xev, is pressing C-q and then your
> > key combination.
>
> Yeah, can you use xev in the console?

No.  People are assuming that you are running the X graphical display
of Emacs.  I think you are using the standard terminal interface.
With X emacs can detect every key.  With a terminal Emacs has nothing
to do with keys and it is the terminal emulators job to detect keys
and to produce characters.  The emulation may not be implementing all
of the usual key combinations.  S-TAB (aka backtab) is usually
imlemented with ESC [ Z.

> C-q doesn't notice the news either: I hold shift, but only TAB shows.

I think you must be either using the Linux vt virtual console or are
using a terminal emulator that does not implement S-TAB.  If you are
using a Linux virtual console there isn't any way around this without
patching Linux.  If you are using an X terminal emulator then try
using Xterm and it should work for you.

Bob