Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the win

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: don't show the $-bar that indicates text before and/or after the window view, horizontally
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:59:06 +0200

Rustom Mody <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> No rank or pulling. Basic education-stuff.  You want to learn
> calculus? Ok first need to clear algebra.  Algebra? First need
> arithmetic.  So... Basic stuff: abc before xyz.

In general - perhaps, but you shouldn't be afraid to advance as
fast as possible. "Advance too fast, you catch up with death. But
advance too slow, death catches up with *you*."

In this particular case, "advance too fast" is nonsense because I
don't need to do anything before I change the dollar sign or
disable the fringe. I just need to know how to do it, and this
information was provided.

> Eli asked you to read some basic stuff before grappling with
> more advanced stuff.

Like I said, I don't consider that advanced, and besides I read
every book on Emacs I have gotten hold of, plus every Emacs
chapter in every general Linux book I ever saw. To assume I didn't
read anything is in itself an insult, and incorrect at that.

> emacs is quite a formidable piece of software -- hopefully that
> you will agree with. And in dealing with that, listening to the
> sequencing suggestions of insider-guys (like Eli)

Again, rank is irrelevant: I'm able to asses material as it is. I
don't care if you coded creation itself, if you're rude, I don't
want to deal with you.

> If you are serious about that (and everyone who is trying to
> learn something needs to be serious at least about teaching
> himself) you can take it from someone who has taught some
> thousands of students

I'm not going to take anything from a person who pulls rank every
second sentence.

> So...  Its really quite easy to NOT be in the category to which
> Dunning-Kruger apply: Just be ready/easy to say: "Yeah... I dont
> know... How to learn???"

I know how to learn. You learn by being active. How do the Cuban
boxers win Gold at every Olympics? How do they master to throw
punches? They throw 1000 punches a day, and then they eat and
sleep. Learning is difficult to do, but not difficult to
understand.

> Let me end with something that we veteran

The only thing you do is pull rank.

> teachers always fear: The Einstein effect.  One of Einstein's
> school teachers told him he was an idiot and a useless who would
> never make anything of his life.  And so when you cross to the
> other side and become a teacher, theres always the nagging fear:
> Is there some idiot in my class who will become Einstein in
> future?

Why on Earth would you fear that? I don't know what Einstein did,
but if he did good things, as I think, we could sure use more of
those.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573