Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Sanest way to make emacs behave on a Solaris OS
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2013 00:44:04 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> The -all as I understand it applies to where to apply the
> properties.  Both to RESOURCE_MANAGER and to SCREEN_RESOURCES.
> A different aspect of things different from what I was talking
> about.
>
> The -load option is also the default.

Aha, so -all is unrelated. I just made a search in the man page
for "default", and I didn't consider that many options could be
default.

> As I recall the KDE 3 desktop environment keeps a set of X
> resources in a private location in the .kde/something location.
> Then if a ~/.Xresources exists it adds that on top of its own
> private copy.  Or something like that.  It has been a while
> since I used KDE 3.  But specifically because I remembered it
> having additional resources is why I danced around the issue
> with -merge.

OK. I don't know what I use on my laptop anymore. I got GNOME with
Debian, but then I removed so much stuff. Back then, I had
Metacity as a WM, but now I (seldom) use Openbox, which I invoke
explicitly. I also had gdm (the login screen and that), but now I
have autologin on the ttys, and then automatic invocation of
applications (including X, with 'xinit', as said), in .zprofile,
depending on what tty:

if (( $NORMAL_BOOT )); then
    case $VT in
        (1) emacs ;;
        (2) tinit ;;
        (3) xinit ;;
    esac
fi

(tinit is a script that setups tmux)

So I don't know if this is considered GNOME anymore? Anyway, on my
school's Solaris, I saw (when I did experimentation for this
thread) that *they* had GNOME, and they'd probably had it all this
time, but I never noticed, because I always ssh from my Linux, and
always without GFX. So this problem opened my eyes, or anyway just
a tiny bit, but that's something.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573