Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?

From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto
Subject: Is Emacs very alive, active and improving?
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:43:20 -0300

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=emacs editor,eclipse ide

  Since 2004 Eclipse (Emac's primary competiton for my use case) has lost some
71% of its "trendiness" according to Google.  But Emacs has lost more,
dropping from 25 to 4 (84% less).

  Does this Google Trends graph reflect reality?

  I am worried because I have personally met only one other Emacs user (not
counting people I only talked to via the Internet).  Of course, popularity is
far from the only criteria, I don't have to obey fashion (if I did, I wouldn't
be using GNU/Linux).  But I do want my development environment to be
reasonably active, improving and well supported.  Can I reasonably trust Emacs
to be active and improving by 2018?  At least as a LaTeX editor, IDE for C++,
Python, Javascript and Java, and general text editor.

  Thank you for your attention.  Sorry for any bad English, I am Brazilian.

--
The sooner we fight global heating, the lesser the cost.