Re: When/where does setq work?

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Re: When/where does setq work?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 10:49:34 -0400

  > Yes its getting set.
  >
  > So now it looks that org mode is 'early-binding' that variable:
  > ie its using the initial value of that variable and not using the
  > new value when/if its changed.
  >
  > However thats strange since, even after org-reload it keeps its
  > old value...

So this style information is kept and used across a complete reload?
Maybe a variable is set using defvar? (That only sets variables whose
value is void.) In any case, it's apparently still less simplistic
than I imagined.

  > Guess I'll ask on the org list.

Probably yes. I have had a quick peek into the org-mode source files,
but even where the variable is used was not exactly obvious to the
naked eye. - In any case, it looks like the variable is not meant, or
at least not designed, for on-the-fly customization, but maybe there
is another way. (Before you start hacking the whole thing.)

By the way: I referred to the other poster as "Eli" (believing it was
Eli Zaretski who wrote the other posts). It was really somebody
apparently called Lee - my eyes had confused two header lines. My
apologies to both!

Regards,

Florian

--