Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Helm (and?) or Icicles (possibly using Evil)
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 22:09:06 +0200

Hi Hans,

> But again, comparative feedback from happy Helm users would be most
> welcome, since there isn't nearly as much information on that topic
> available online, particularly in 'the' wiki.

I would not recommend to try to run Icicles and Helm in parallel.  I
would recommend to try them both, and decide for one of them.

Helm and Icicles are both great packages for completion.  The major
features are astonishingly similar.  None is a superset of the other,
and for both, there are different cool extensions.

Generally, Helm is a bit simpler and more straightforward, Icicles is a
bit more general and comes with a a bit more flexible concept.  In daily
usage, I would say that you are a bit faster with Helm, but you can do a
bit more stuff with Icicles.  I can't say if I would recommend any of
the packages for an Emacs newbie.

One mayor design difference is that Icicles does support multi-line
candidates, Helm does not.  Icicles uses recursive Minibuffers in
several ways, Helm does not.  OTOH, Helm completion is often faster than
doing something similar in Helm.

BTW, AFAIK there is no counterpart in Helm for the Icicles' info stuff.

HTH,

Michael.