Re: Independent differently-configured instances running concurrently

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Independent differently-configured instances running concurrently
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 01:18:40 +0100

Hans BKK <hansbkk@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm investigating how to run completely separate instances of emacs
> concurrently.
>
> For example,
>
>  * highly customized but relatively stable "production" setup used for
> exploring source-code, docs, creating my own self-doc-set
>
>  * basically unmodified "base" setup for learning vanilla and comparison
> purposes
>
>  * scratch-experimental setup for testing packages, comparing their mods to
> vanilla, etc

The way you suggest should work.  Using multiple accounts should work
too.

Another way is to use different computers.  In the past I've worked at
companies that have servers running on various types of Unix.  Often I'd
setup Emacs on my corporate MS Windows PC.  I used it on the Unix
machines too via ssh or telnet.  On the Windows machine I put all my
customizations, but I didn't customize on the Unix machines.  I did that
out of laziness, but it was useful because it got me accustomed to how
default Emacs worked and made me realize which customizations were
really useful.

All approaches make it tricky to use emacsclient, but you can learn that
later.  Emacs server/client is very useful and definitely worth setting up.

And I still think your learning process is too complicated :)

BR,
Robert Thorpe