Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Correct Paths to Emacs C Sources after Installation
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 18:26:11 +0200

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 17:07:42 +0100
> From: Alexander Shukaev <haroogan@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Many package managers have options to install sources separately from binaries
> and by convention they are usually installed under corresponding
> "src/<package-name>" suffix. This is what makes my proposal reasonable.
> Otherwise users end up with hard coded path to random directory from a build
> machine. Is that what you consider a reasonable default for the majority?

You'd need to show actual patches to do you want, for this discussion
to be constructive.  (And btw, this is not the place to discuss such
patches.)

Emacs includes some logic to detect whether it is run uninstalled
(i.e. from the src or build directory) or after installation.
Whatever changes you propose should not break that logic, and should
continue to support the current setup, where Emacs is built in some
place not even close to its binary, then installed under /usr/, and
the sources are left where it was built.  If your changes satisfy
these requirements, they will be considered, I think (but no promises,
as I have no idea what other people on emacs-devel will say).