Re: End and beginning of buffer

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: End and beginning of buffer
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 02:17:51 +0200

javaxman69@gmail.com writes:

> Hi all. I don't know if it is me (probably), but
> I can't have the key binding M-> and M-< working on my
> pc (OS is Ubuntu 14.04, and Emacs version is 24.3.1).
> Expected behaviour is reaching the end and the
> beginning of a buffer, but instead I get the following
> messages, respectively: - Find tag: - No M-x
> tags-search or M-x tags-query-replace in progress Any
> idea why? Thanks. (P.S. All (at least the ones
> I tried) other combination with Meta key are working
> flawlessly)

I can only offer general advice because no, I don't
have any ideas:

1. Start Emacs with 'emacs -Q'. Does it work?

2. Don't start Emacs with -Q. Instead start it
   regularly and hit `C-h k' and then hit M-< and M->
   to see what the keys are bound to. Is it
   `beginning-of-buffer' and `end-of-buffer'? And, do
   `C-h f beginning-of-buffer RET' and `C-h
   f end-of-buffer RET' and see if M-< and M-> show
   up. If anything isn't as expected, what mode and/or
   buffer are you in? Did you configure that
   particular situation? Or did you load
   anything unorthodox?

By the way, I since long abandoned M-< and M-> for
`C-o i' and `C-o j'. Better located and more intuitive
for us Lode Runners (`i' is above `j', compared to `<'
and `>' which only make sense with respect to the
chars, and not what position they have on the keyboard
- it is the same position, actually).

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573