Re: Trouble saving to the emacs file dir under Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trouble saving to the emacs file dir under Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 18:14:30 +0300

> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 17:14:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
>
> The read only check box is not marked so chmod won't help me here.  My
> installer module adds a line to the dir file pointing to a new folder created
> inside c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-*.  I managed to manually change the read
> only status of the file "dir" by right clicking on "dir" and choosing
> "Properties", then clicking on "Security" and clicking on Users
> (DAVINPEARSON/Users) and clicking on the box: allow full control.

OK, so your problem is indeed with the NT security settings of
"Program Files".  I can only reiterate my suggestion not to install
programs there, if they need to write to their installation directory.

> > One thing I can add to what I already said: the usual way of modifying
> > the 'dir' file is by running the 'install-info' utility.  Not sure if
> > doing so will solve your problem, but manually updating 'dir' is not a
> > good idea, either.
>
> What's wrong with programmatically changing the contents of the "dir" file?

Nothing, except that it's tricky, and install-info already does all
the tricks for you.

> Do you think that I should use the "install-info" utility to patch the "dir"
> file?

That's my recommendation, yes.

> Do other flavours of GNU/Linux use the /media folder to access the windows
> hard drives of your computer?

Sorry, I have no idea.