Re: Basic question on choosing nxml-mode schema

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Basic question on choosing nxml-mode schema
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 10:06:38 +0100

On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 08:26:37PM +0000, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi, this question is probably more about understanding HTML than about
> nxml-mode. I don't use HTML often and don't keep up to date with web design.
> But:
>
> I want to use nxml-mode to edit a document using reveal-js. The sample
> documents they use in the tutorials begins:
>
> ---
> <!doctype html>
> <head>
>   <title>Reveal.js 3 Slide Demo</title>...
> ---
>
> nxml-mode has a problem with most aspects of this: the initial tag is
> "unknown markup declaration", the
> html tag is 'missing xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";', the charset is
> "Attribute not allowed", etc.
>
> If I replace this header stuff with a more-usual
>
> ---
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>

> <head>---
>
> then this works, but then later in the document, each "slide" is contained in
> <section> tags, and these show up as "Unknown element".
>
> I assume that I just don't understand what format this document is
> (or should be) in, but how do I figure this out, and what schema
> do I use to process it? I don't care so much about auto-completion,
> I just don't want a good document to show up as "invalid" and have
> non-errors highlighted.

I can't help you very much on that, since I have little practical
experience wih Emacs and HTML. But here are a few points:

What you are seeing is most probably a HTML document (it looks like
HTML5 [1]), which is *not* XML. It looks a bit like XML. It seems
that after a phase trying to nudge HTML towards XML conformance,
the trend these days is in the opposite direction.

The header stuff you insert is declaring that the thing is XHTML
(which *is* xml). A confused nxml (or well: an angry nxml: "this
thing is full of errors") is to be expected then.

I don't know whether nxml-mode can be coerced to "do" html; perhaps
it can only cope with xml (and thus wih XHTML).

Sorry for only saying what *doesn't* work. Perhaps more knowledgeable
folks can remedy that :-)

regards

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

- -- tomás