Re: unexpected byte-compiler behaviour

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: unexpected byte-compiler behaviour
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2017 15:28:50 -0800

hector <hectorlahoz@gmail.com> wrote:
> So basically linking is done, not at compilation like in C, but
> dynamically at run time. I think I get it. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, I think that's a fair description.

> Could it be that my environment (loaded libraries) is affecting
> compilation? Is it advisable to run Emacs with -Q?

Emacs's state can definitely affect compilation, and when macros are
involved it can get a little subtle/confusing.

It's not necessary to use "emacs -Q" on a regular basis (I suspect most
people only do that when debugging a specific problem in a minimal
environment), but it can definitely be helpful to use it for compilation
sometimes (especially after large changes, especially involving macros
used in different files than where they were defined).

To do that, you could either launch an "emacs -Q" and then use e.g.
byte-recompile-directory, or install the async package and call
async-byte-recompile-directory, which will launch an "emacs -Q" in the
background.

        John