Re: OSX Mail app → Emacs ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: OSX Mail app → Emacs ?
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 16:27:24 +0900

> On 2017/06/03, at 16:07, Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:
>

> On Sat, Jun 03 2017, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> If I wanted to transition my mailing activity from OSX's Mail app to Emacs,
>> what would be the best path to do that ?
>> I see plenty of tutorials on how to *start* using mail in Emacs, but not on
>> how to move one's thousands of mails to a structure that Emacs can access...
>>
>> Any hints ?
>
> That probably depends on what mailer you want to use.

Thank you very much for the hints.

Before moving to Mac, and before UTF-8 was widely used, I was using a Debian
machine with Mutt. So I had a setting for French mails, and another setting for
Japanese mails, English mails were handled in either setting. I had fetchmail
to get my pop mail and procmail for the filtering. It was a bit complex but I
managed. That was 20 years ago. I hope things have evolved since then :)

What I need though beyond a retrieval/display/sending system, is a way to
access the selected mail from the OS side. I have a workflow that involves
getting the selected mail, saving it separately and its attachments too,
marking it with a given tag etc.

In the Emacs based system, I'd need to have a variable that points at that
file, maybe a variable that points at its attachments, a way to "tag" the mail
(I have half a dozen different tags), and I guess that's it for now...

Jean-Christophe