Re: Delete marked files from dired

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Delete marked files from dired
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 22:02:19 +0200

On 2017-06-16, at 17:53, notbob <notbob@nothome.com> wrote:

> OK, my bad.  Turns out you gotta be IN dired mode fer the variable to
> show up.  I used another xterm to put me in an non-dired mode of emacs
> and that does NOT work.  Now all I gotta do is learn how the
> "customize" screen works.  Thank you.  ;)

Not exactly.  The variable is defined in dired.el, and so is not defined
in Emacs until this file is actually loaded, e.g. by means of (require
'dired) or by using an autoloaded command (e.g. M-x dired, aka C-x d).
You may try putting (require 'dired) in your init.el (or just saying M-:
(require 'dired)) - the variable will be there for you to customize
without starting dired even once.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski