Re: introduction to lisp

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: introduction to lisp
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 12:29:24 +0000

On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 1:00 AM Emanuel Berg <moasen@zoho.com> wrote:

> But that evaluates to [f1], so then why not
>
>     (global-set-key [f1]
>       (lambda () (interactive) (message "Formula 1")) )
>
> ?

Not sure if that's a joke. Again, as I said, this approach is simply "what
is see is what you type"; with just kbd wrapped around. If you see <f1>,
the binding notation is (kbd "<f1>"), if you see C-c C-d, (kbd "C-c C-d"),
if you see <M-return>, (kbd "<M-return>"), and so on.

> Actually the only case I have against `kbd' is
> that it is more bulky and longer to type...

The value is not having to think if certain chars need to be escaped or
having to spend time doing one more eval to find the correct string.
--

Kaushal Modi