Emacs kill-ring causing other programs to hang/crash?

From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer
Subject: Emacs kill-ring causing other programs to hang/crash?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 12:42:58 +0100

Hello!

I am using Emacs 25.1 on Windows 10 (64bit).

I have observed, that Emacs can slow down or crash other programs due to
interactions with the global clipboard.

This is most visible when using programs from within "M-x shell-command",
e.g.

   1. Put some text into the kill-ring in emacs.
   2. Run "M-x shell-command RET notepad RET". Notepad is now open, and
   Emacs is blocked until it is closed.
   3. Try pasting to notepad.

At this point Notepad, or whatever program Emacs is waiting for to finish,
hangs until killed, and similarly I experience intense lags when using
Chrome while something from Emacs is in the clibboard.

Is this a known problem / are there known solutions?

- Klaus