Re: info-find-source

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: info-find-source
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2018 03:41:57 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> because of that, almost the entire society
>> has abandoned cash, and that kind of crime
>> doesn't happen anymore. So that is one
>> benefit, at least.
>
> Does that mean that there are no more
> anonymous monetary transactions?
> That sounds scary!

There is cash but its use and significance has
plummeted in the last 10-15 years and what
I can determine this is a process that
only continues.

When we first heard one could pay directly with
a credit card in the store, what we thought was
OK, this is what happens when some dude from
Virgin Records gets on a jet from London and
wants to buy a snowmobile, only he is afraid he
will be robbed on the way from the ATM to the
vendor... But today, kids use credit cards when
they buy one "Lion" candy bar at 7.95 SEK!
(7.95 SEK ~= $0.99 | £0.72 | €0.81)

As for privacy, without being an aluminium
foil hat (or "aluminum" as you say in NA), yes
it would be a problem if one could never do
small favors to people for small sums in cash.
But we are not exactly there quite yet...

In the long run, remember that it is not only
the plebeians that would suffer from this.
Also all the dealings of shady BB could
potentially come to the public's eye.
While I don't think that will ever happen (they
will just come up with yet another layer to
hide it) it could, in principle.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573