Re: Making a non-ASCII space character visible

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Making a non-ASCII space character visible
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 08:24:57 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> > Seems you tried to insert a printed representation of the character?
> > AFAIK you must insert the character.  You can achieve this with M-:
> > (insert ?\x2007) for example.  Yes, that's not so nice.
>
> ??? How does that differ from "C-x 8 RET 2007 RET"?  The latter is the
> standard way of inserting characters in Emacs.

Sure.  With "not so nice" I meant "not so nice that it doesn't just
accept read syntaxes of characters.

> If you did succeed to customize that variable, can you show a step by
> step recipe?

I was wrong, we have a bug here.

The custom interface doesn't even accept the unmodified default value
(just make a change, undo, and try to "Set for current session").  It
seems it has a problem with the value field containing the newline
character - that seems to be read as empty string, and that later fails
the validation test.

Michael.