Re: changing the display of formfeed characters

From: Javier
Subject: Re: changing the display of formfeed characters
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 20:47:06 +0000 (UTC)

>> Has somebody come with any idea how to display ^L in some way without
>> breaking whitespace-mode?
>
> AFAICT, those modes break whitespace-mode because they define their
> own display table without copying the display table that was in effect
> before the mode was switched on.  whitespace-mode does take care of
> copying the previous display table, and doesn't override the way the
> formfeed is displayed AFAICS.  So maybe activating those other modes
> _before_ whitespace-mode will do the trick?  (Caveat: I didn't try
> that.)

I have just tried activating the display of form-feed before
whitespace-mode, but didn't suceed.

In any case, that solution wouldn't last for long, since the display
table would be changed again whenever the window changes size.  Those
modes adjust the length of the string representing ^L to fit the width
of the window by using 'window-configuration-change-hook.

>> Would it do the trick modifying the display table for ^L with a fixed width
>> string?
>> Like "=========" and avoiding to dynamically adjust for window width.
>
> Not sure how this question is related, please elaborate.

That would make things easier as the display table would only be modified once,
without changing it on the fly each time the window changes size.