Re: using setq to create lists based on other lists...

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: using setq to create lists based on other lists...
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2018 04:04:52 -0500

In article <mailman.5042.1543777897.1284.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> wrote:

> I've seen lots of beginners write programs that setq undefined symbols
> and now I know why.

There's nothing wrong with it in Emacs Lisp and a number of other Lisp
dialects. I think Common Lisp was the first specification that made it
questionable, but it was commonplace in the days of Maclisp, which is
the dialect that Emacs Lisp is most directly descended from.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA