Re: local binding, too local...

From: tomas
Subject: Re: local binding, too local...
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 09:45:37 +0100

On Sun, Dec 09, 2018 at 11:41:19AM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> > On Dec 9, 2018, at 6:59, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Dec 08, 2018 at 11:45:32PM +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> >> Thank you Tomas.
> >>
> >> So can you say that "binding" is like "creating" a variable ?
> >
> > No (at least not in this Lisp context). It's more like associating
> > a name with a variable.
>
> But there must be something that's created that did not exist before that
> "binding" right ?

The association :-)

Technically, there's some hash table in the background, where
the implementation can look up symbols and what's been "hung"
on them (besides a "variable binding" there are some other
possibilities,,,)

> > "Assigning 7 to x" wouldn't make much sense in maths, because it would
> > amount to assigning 7 to 5.
>
> Ok so the comparison with maths doesn't work, right ?

I'd say that the "maths" view was an inspiration, so it always helps
to keep it around for comparison. But it's important to remember that
there are differences.

That doesn't mean that maths can't model assignment, though.

Cheers
-- tomás