Re: Why does using aset sometimes output raw bytes?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: Why does using aset sometimes output raw bytes?
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2018 18:20:29 +0100

On Sun, 09 Dec 2018 12:10:00 -0500 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

>> When I use aset to change characters in a string
>
> I recommend you don't do that unless it's *really* indispensable.
>
>> (insert (aset "aous" i (aref "äöüß" i)))
>
> I also recommend you don't use the return value of `aset`.

I don't have a use case where using aset like this is indispensable, I
was just experimenting.  Are your reservations because the
implementation of aset is brittle, leading to things like the
observations I reported -- maybe too hard to fix and not worth the
trouble?  Or are there other reasons not to use aset as above?

Steve Berman