Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019

From: Van L
Subject: Re: Suggestions for 1L computer to run Emacs 2019
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 00:18:04 +1100

Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu> writes:

> Van L wrote:
>
>> If, indeed, Apple does privacy protection
>> from the likes of AMI, Apple's justification
>> for wanting to protect "their" devices
>> is understandable.
>
> Apple has always been like that. When they did
> some early version of their Mac, they even did
> a new, unique tool in-house so that it would be
> impossible to open and get inside the computer
> even with standard wrenches from the hardware
> store! [1]

After the beige computer color period,
the colorful G3 Mac had a ring pull the
size of the 'o' in the 'ok' hand sign
that you pull and the whole case opened
as beautifully as a car's engine
cover. But down. It might've been
designed on their $15M Cray supercomputer.

> They do it because of an underlying philosophy
> that people who buy their stuff should be
> consumers and nothing else. Obviously this
> makes sense for Apple, who want people to buy
> their stuff, again and again.

A different explanation might be that
they wanted to shield the inner
electronics from ESD or pin bends by the
computer owner's wunderboy.

> But the amazing thing is that despite this
> attitude, which clearly puts the consumer at
> the lowest point in the tech hierarchy, their
> marketing has fooled the Apple buyers into
> thinking themselves as *an elite* (??).

Apple receives the best consumer
satisfaction ratings. That elite thing
is like the n-word? rappers say niggas.

> For this scam to work, they must always be
> made to pay much more for their stuff than
> everyone else, which, again, works great
> for Apple.

All it takes is for them to hire a
confederate or undercover spy and Apple
is screwed.

> So Apple did really, really good. Don't hate
> the player - hate the game.
>
>> It could be made to fit if it doesn't, but to
>> see it everyday as an unattractive object for 5
>> or 10 years would be very, very depressing like
>> wearing the nose on the earliest model Tesla
>> roadster. (One was thrown in space and the nose
>> was framed out from the viewing angles.)
>
> What's wrong with the way it looks? I don't
> like the red color (looks like blood) but apart
> from that what's not to like?

They call it midnight cherry red. I think.

The drama in the design of the original
Tesla roadster is documented.

:
https://www.iot-store.com.au/products/cubietruck-plus-metal-allwinner-h8-cortex-a7-octa-core

> You can always get a couple of POSCA pens or
> put stickers on the casing,

That's the convert a VW to Ferrari
trick. There are photos.

> or simply put the
> computer out of sight.
> Typing this, I don't see my RPi. Because it is
> behind me :)

Ah, but you know it is there and how it
looks.

--
© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835