Re: Google Gmail mailing list bounces

From: Bob Proulx
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:23:34 -0700

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> There may be laziness, but also a lot of discoverability and basic
> knowledge issues. I don't think most modern mail users know that
> unsubscribe information is given in the list mail header.

Not having grown up with it people now arriving on the scene and using
it are using the mailers that have been marketed to them.  They now
have no idea how mail works.  It all might as well be magic to them.
If it truly were magic there would be no difference to them.

> Also, in "modern" mail clients there is no practical way to see that
> information (why would people want to check the source of a message?)
>
> But I do understand this comment is slightly besides the point. :)

I keep thinking that people will see how bad the Gmail/Outlook
interface to mail is and will leave them to use better ones.  IIRC
they don't even show you the email address of the user!  Insanity!  I
would never tolerate that in a mail client.  And as you can see I
haven't ever because I am not using them.  But I know that a *LOT* of
people use them but I am astounded that they do.  There truly is no
hope for the human race. :-(

Bob