Re: Google Gmail mailing list bounces

From: Nate Bass
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2019 02:28:56 -0800

I compared my Gmail to the archives and I found that I wasn't
receiving mail from one particular address moasenwood@zoho.eu and I
think this caused me to bounce off the help-gnu-emacs mailing list.

I started to miss messages on February 6 at 8:51 PST, while receiving
all others on the mailing list. I missed at least one message each day
from this address (25 missed total) until February 10 at 12:35 PST
when I received a
message stating:
> Your membership in the mailing list help-gnu-emacs has been disabled
> due to excessive bounces The last bounce received from you was dated
> 10-Feb-2019.

I did receive messages (about 5 or 6) from moasenwood@zoho.eu
interspersed amongst
the missed messages. I checked the headers of the ones I received and
the ones I missed but I could not find any meaningful difference.

I compared my Gmail to the archives by diffing the mbox files
(https://superuser.com/a/990431/644460 if anyone wants to try) to be
sure that I wasn't missing messages from any other address. I even
checked Janurary and Feburary of emacs-devel and I could only find
missed messages from moasenwood@zoho.eu.

I can also confirm that, upon rejoining help-gnu-emacs on February 17,
I did not receive this message
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2019-02/msg00312.html
dated February 20. Maybe other users can check if they have this in
their inbox and report if you are using gmail or something else?

This issue raises two questions.
1) Why was I not receiving message from that address. Any thoughts
Emanuel? I did receive your original post "Gmane up again" and some
but not all of the following replies, if that helps.
2) Should the automatic bounce processing system be changed? I think
my experience confirms that help-gnu-emacs has a bounce score
threshold of 5.