Re: Why is Elisp slow?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Why is Elisp slow?
Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 22:39:46 -0400

> One reason why people implemented everything in elisp instead of
> contributing in C (or sending patches) is:

Eli's point is quite different (and actually goes well beyond adding
new C primitives): there is a world of Elisp hackers developing great
packages but never engaging with Emacs development at all, in the sense
that they take Emacs as an immutable base whose limitations and bugs are
just obstacles around which to work.

I regularly bump into code "out there" with random hacks to work around
Emacs bugs I've never heard of.

All Eli is saying is: when the Emacs infrastructure isn't as good as
you'd like for your package, please report it as a bug (no need to do
anything more than that).  That doesn't mean we'll necessarily fix those
bugs (sometimes they're hard to fix, or simply nobody is interested in
fixing them), but it helps to know about them, and can guide
future redesigns.

        Stefan