Re: Ctrl-[ ?

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Ctrl-[ ?
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2019 09:52:09 +0900

> On Jun 9, 2019, at 0:42, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
>> Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 22:54:17 +0900
>>
>>> We have an enormously complex piece of software on
>>> our hands, and we have no better choice than going the "inconvenient"
>>> ways when we want to rebind an unusual key.
>>
>> In all honesty:
>>
>> (define-key input-decode-map "\C-[" [C-left-bracket])
>> (define-key global-map [C-left-bracket] 'myfunction)
>>
>> is not inconvenient at all. What is inconvenient is the discovery process.
>
> AFAIU, that discovery process, and the fact that you need 2 lines of
> code rather than just one, was what was referred to as "inconvenient".

Ok, plenty of misunderstandings in this thread. Thank you for the clarification.

>> Knowing what I know about emacs (which is above the casual user) and even
>> with the willingness to go through the manual, it would have been (it *has*
>> been) impossible for me to find that solution.
>
> FWIW, I consider this not to be a catastrophe, far from it.  Emacs is
> an enormously complex package, so it's impractical to require that
> everything in it is immediately discoverable and easily customizable.
> Especially when what you want to do is something as unusual as the
> case in point.  I still hear every day one or two things I didn't know
> about Emacs, after all those years of using, customizing, and hacking
> it.  We could (and do) add stuff to the manuals and the doc strings,
> but there's limit to how this could improve discoverability.  We
> shouldn't expect, let alone demand, unreachable goals.

Well, I ended up with a solution so I'm not calling anything discussed here a
catastrophe.

But as far as "as unusual as the case in point", I have my left fourth finger
close to Ctrl, and my right fourth finger close to [ and ], so what better
combination could I think of when I need something that goes to the left and
then to the right ? That might not occur to you because of your background, but
for me, that binding was just urging me to be done...

>> Now, what I'd love to know is what are the other "unusual" keys, because as
>> a group, they deserve a few more lines in the manual.
>
> I suggest a careful reading of keymap.c and keyboard.c, the answer to
> this question is there.

Thank you !

Jean-Christophe Helary