C-z in MSWindows shell (was: Few bugs (perhaps))

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: C-z in MSWindows shell (was: Few bugs (perhaps))
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 14:41:28 +0200

It is more convenient to give each issue its own thread. I'll address one of
your questions below.

Sebastian Urban <mrsebastianurban@gmail.com> writes:

> * 'C-z' and resuming
> ====================
>
> 'C-z' runs 'suspend-frame', which on text terminal suspends Emacs and
> to resume I should type '%emacs' in terminal.  The problem is this
> doesn't work on MS Windows Command line (cmd.exe), I can suspend Emacs
> (started with 'emacs -nw') but how do I resume it?  And if there is no
> way, then maybe 'C-z' should be disabled for Emacs in MS Windows
> Console?

The documentation of C-z says:

  Do whatever is right to suspend the current frame.
  Calls ‘suspend-emacs’ if invoked from the controlling tty device,
  ‘suspend-tty’ from a secondary tty device, and
  ‘iconify-or-deiconify-frame’ from a graphical frame.

The documentation of suspend-emacs says:

  Stop Emacs and return to superior process.  You can resume later.
  If ‘cannot-suspend’ is non-nil, or if the system doesn’t support job
  control, run a subshell instead.

MSWindows' shell has no job control, so probably cannot-suspend is t,
which means that C-z runs a subshell. If you exit from that subshell (by
typing `exit', for instance) you should go back to Emacs.