Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Does emacs cache something on windows when invoking call-process?
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 18:27:00 +0300

> From: Eighty Megabytes <emacsuser@freemail.hu>
> Date: Tue,  9 Jul 2019 16:03:39 +0200 (CEST)
>
> I have the same search command line which is practically instantaneous in the
> windows command prompt, but it takes several seconds when executed via
> call-process.
>
> So I try it in the command prompt, it's instantaneous.
>
> Then I try the same command line from emacs via call-process and it takes
> several seconds.

This doesn't happen to me: I get instantaneous response from Emacs as
well.  On the first attempt as well on the subsequent ones.

> 1. Why is the same command much slower when invoked via call-process?

Do you have some antivirus installed, per chance?

> 2. What does that first call-process call does/caches in emacs which makes
> subsequent calls quick until it forgets something and it's slow again?

AFAIK it does nothing inside Emacs or by Emacs.  It might do something
on your system level, though.  But that's out of scope of Emacs.