Re: Overlay after-string with cursor (Stefan Monnier)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Overlay after-string with cursor (Stefan Monnier)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 03:51:31 -0400

> The jump is exactly what I have experienced and did not quite understood
> what is hapenning there. Should it be possible to scroll by pixel into the
> 'after-string?

Yes, if you want to synchronize the scrolling between two windows, you
can indeed do that (not that it's a separate issue from synchronizing
the cursor).  You can use `set-window-vscroll` for that.
It can be fiddly as well, tho.

> I am unaware whether some buffer text can be shown in only one window (the
> inverse of hidden overlay with window property).

Instead of inserting virtual newlines in only one window, you could take the
opposite approach and really inserting the newlines in the buffer and
then hiding those newlines in all other windows.

Of course, that would still require taking care to remove those newlines
before the buffer is saved (and things get even more delicate if you
want to allow editing the buffer).

> I could create a fake buffer with the data instead of comparing the
> original file.

That might be a much easier option.

        Stefan