Re: Out of source compilation

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Out of source compilation
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 10:24:30 +0200

On Sun, Sep 01, 2019 at 05:57:07AM +0200, Ergus wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Sorry if this is a too dumb question, but I don't find any related
> reference.
>
> What's the recommended method to do out of source compilation?

You are talking about compiling Emacs from source?

> Right now I am doing a cd dir && make. But maybe there is
> something else, more complete?
>
> Maybe a variable in the locals file?? Or a set command?

If my guess above was right, it's easy (this is true of most well
managed "modern" Autotools projects):

 - just make yourself a build directory somewhere (in my case
   it's just a neighbour of the source dir, but that's not
   necessary)

 - cd to your build directory

 - call configure script from your build directory

 - the build machinery gets deployed in your build directory.

 - do there make && make install as usual.

Cheers
-- t