Re: Error opening an APK file

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Error opening an APK file
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:13:36 -0400

> Why remove the extensions? that makes the change backward-incompatible
> for no good reason, AFAIU.

AFAIK they're redundant with those in auto-mode-alist.

> The question is still valid because the same extensions appear in
> auto-mode-alist (on which you rely in your proposed patch).

[ I just sent the code I have around, which I wrote many
  years ago (and that I've been using ever since).
  No intention to use it as-is, I just wanted to illustrate the idea.

  The case-sensitivity should obey auto-mode-case-fold, of course
  (apparently I wrote that code before auto-mode-case-fold was added to
  Emacs ;-).  ]

The question is definitely valid.  I guess rather than deflect it,
I should have answered it, to avoid the follow up reactions.
So while I didn't write that code, I can explain: even on
a case-insensitive filesystem, a file can have name
foo.APK or foo.apk or foo.ApK (and those are *different* names), so
since *we* do the comparison (instead of the filesystem, which would do
the comparison in a case-insensitive way) in a case-sensitive way in or
current code, we need the regexp to have those "redundant" upper case
variants (tho they don't catch foo.ApK).

        Stefan