Re: Gnus: Store message in PGP-decrypted form

From: Marvin ‘quintus’ Gülker
Subject: Re: Gnus: Store message in PGP-decrypted form
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 10:42:13 +0200

Am Mittwoch, dem 10. Juni 2020 schrieb Jamie Beardslee:
> It's not exactly what you want, but `epa-decrypt-region' usually works
> for my needs.  In any case, here's a little function to decrypt some
> saved mail.

This looks already quite nice, thank you! It is a step in the right
direction, but both Gnus and mutt fail to display the message after it
has been modified this way. This is because the MIME structure is broken
by the lexical replacement. What is required is to remove the MIME part
which is application/pgp-encrypted and replace it with the decrypted
MIME structure contained therein; then the message's toplevel MIME type
needs to be adjusted.

I think I can implement that, and surely there's a way to get it hooked
up to Gnus somehow. If not, I will write again. For now, does somebody
know if there is an easy way to parse the MIME structure of a mail with
Elisp? I can surely just do what I need directly with text replacements,
but if there is an API for adding and removing MIME parts easily with
Elisp I would rather use that one. After all, Gnus needs to parse the
MIME structure somehow as well. Maybe I should just look at its source
code...

In any case, I infer that there is no pre-built way to achieve what I
want. Until I get this working (fiddling requires time...), I will thus
continue to use mutt for saving my PGP-encrypted in unencrypted form
mail.

  -quintus

--
Blog: https://mg.guelker.eu