Re: Compiling a recursive macro

From: Douglas Lewan
Subject: Re: Compiling a recursive macro
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 12:11:56 -0400

On 6/12/20 6:49 AM, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
Douglas Lewan <d.lewan2000@gmail.com> writes:

They are buffer-local. Definition of such a variable spans the tree of
buffers in question. I suppose I could just define them in the root
buffer, but then I'd also need to use a specialized getter instead of
the variable itself. The latter definitely seems preferable to me. If
there's a way to do this with emacs lisp's natural scoping, I'm more
than happy to learn.
If you want to use local variables: `make-local-variable' makes a
variable local in the current buffer, `make-variable-buffer-local'
generally; both are functions (not special forms or macros).  And the
getter is `buffer-local-value'; also a function.

Michael.

Indeed. The macros I've written wrap (make-local-variable), but contain logic that reflects the structure that I'm working with. The package is intended to be generic, so expecting the user to rewrite the logic over and over seems inappropriate.

BTW both (make-local-variable) and (make-variable-buffer-local) are written in C, so they can have direct and transparent access to symbols. That's a luxury that mere emacs lisp programmers don't have with functions.

--
,Doug
d.lewan2000@gmail.com

If this is what winning looks like, I'd hate to see what losing is.