Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Opening multiple files in a single buffer?
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2020 20:14:44 +0000

Wonder how fast it would work with emacs src directory by opening all .h anc .c files, some of which are 5k+ lines of code. If that is the case for refactorisation and similar.

I just tried this. With "cat *.h *.c > all.c" in the Emacs src directory, the resulting file is 11 MB, for about 370K source lines. Opening and using that file, with c-mode, font-lock-mode, transient-mark-mode, hl-line-mode and display-line-numbers-mode (and a few others), works without any visible problems. I tried e.g. to insert some code at random places, to kill the second half ot the buffer and to yank it as its first part, to query-replace-regexp the 1652 occurrences of "E\([^ ]*\)s " with "Es\1 ", to narrow-to-region/widen, ... The Emacs process did not use more than 120 MB.

Gregory