Re: N-key rollover keyboards

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: N-key rollover keyboards
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 18:29:08 +0700

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 at 17:08, Alan Davis <alan3davis@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have verified that my original complaint happens in a terminal with tmux
> running, running emacs with the "-nw" option.  as some responses
> suggested.   That said, I wonder whether there may exist an interaction
> between i3 keybindings and emacs' bindings.

Of course there is an interaction. You have a stack of software, all
listening for keystrokes. They will have a chance to handle them in
roughly this order:

1. your kernel (typically handles Ctrl+Alt+F1..F10 to switch TTYs)
2. your X server (in older times, it would terminate on
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace; also keyboard layout switching happens here)
3. your window manager or desktop environment (Alt+Tab window
switching in GNOME/Xfce/KDE, any i3 bindings, any desktop-wide
shortcuts such as Volume Up or Launch Web Browser)
4a. the actual application if it is a GUI-based one
--- or, for terminal-based applications: ---
4b. your X terminal emulator (GUI terminals may have some bindings to
display their help, activate their menu bar, open, close, or switch
tabs)
5. your terminal multiplexer if any (GNU Screen takes Ctrl+a, Tmux
takes Ctrl+b by default)
6. the actual terminal-based application running within the stack

> I wonder why it seems to be
> this specific combination and not other ones; and I intend to verify this
> using another keyboard.

I predict that your issue is not caused by hardware.