Re: Help customising the behaviour of the new Tab Line mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Help customising the behaviour of the new Tab Line mode
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 04:27:33 +0300

>> Issue 2) The second thing I am missing is the ability to reorder
>> tabs.
>
> AIAIK, none supports manual reordering.  Tabs are always sorted by some
> algorithm, so manual reordering doesn't make sense.
>
> I think it would be best to make a feature request (M-x
> report-emacs-bug) and CC Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>.  That already
> worked very well for me in one case.  I've CC'ed him in this answer.

Thanks for pointing me out to this feature request.

> What you want should not be hard to achieve.  But I wonder if it would
> be desirable to have all the time: an Emacs session can have hundreds of
> buffers, lots of them internal and helper buffers or irrelevant for the
> user.  You definitely want some kind of filtering and maybe also some
> way of automatic sorting I think.

Indeed, it's possible to customize `tab-line-tabs-function' to show
all buffers.  But showing hundreds of buffers should not be a problem
because the tab-line supports scrolling.  Then as you already mentioned
the same function could also do automatic sorting, so e.g. "source.cpp"
comes after "source.h" when sorted by file extension as R. Diez wants.