Re: Unicode progress tooltip?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: Unicode progress tooltip?
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2020 22:22:58 +0530

On Sun, Oct 11 2020, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> I have a US layout keyboard. I occasionally need to type non-ASCII stuff
> like ¾, ₤ or é. I've now memorized a few Compose key sequences (environment
> is Ubuntu 20.04), but golly gee, there are a lot of them! I noticed that
> when I mash down on the Compose key a little tooltip pops up
>
> [image: Screenshot from 2020-10-11 10-59-29.png]
>
> and is extended as more keys are pressed. Once a complete sequence is
> entered, the appropriate glyph is rendered and the tooltip dismissed. This
> is very nice.

You need two things:

(1) Install which-key package, then
(2) Press ‘C-x 8’ (then wait for a second)

In step (2) if you press RET instead of waiting then you can enter
UNICODE CHARACTER NAME also.

The characters you have entered are unicode - FRACTION THREE QUARTER,
POUND SIGN, LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH ACUTE