[beginner] better-defaults not found

From: c.buhtz
Subject: [beginner] better-defaults not found
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 23:48:59 +0200

Hello at all,

I am a long year but low level vim user not moving to
emacs (primary for Python).

I tried to edit my ~/.emacs file (on Debian 10 stable) based on that
emacs-for-python-tutorial
https://realpython.com/emacs-the-best-python-editor/#initialization-file

When re-starting emacs I got the error that

/better-defaults-20170614.404.el, Not found

First of all I am confused about the version number because melpa.org
shows me "20200717.2012" for that package. I can understand that the
current package is not found. But I do not understand where the old
version number emacs using for this package comes from.

This is my .emacs (comment lines removed)

(when (>= emacs-major-version 24)
  (require 'package)
  (add-to-list
   'package-archives