Re: How to dump Emacs and use as application snapshot?

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: How to dump Emacs and use as application snapshot?
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 08:37:43 -0600

Hi Jean,

On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 6:47 AM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> leaf is for now complex for me to understand. I need time to
> understand it.

Given that this feature seems destined to reach Emacs core in the near
future, I strongly recommend making time for this sooner vs exploring
alternatives before investing that time.

I think you may find that the documentation for use-package is quite
helpful, with plan language narratives and many usage examples.  I'm
not attempting to compare the leaf to use-package here- use-package
has been around for many years and quite a numberr of users have
documented their successes (and frustrations) with it.  Even if you
feel strongly that leaf will be preferable for you, I recommend
starting with the main README file for use-package[0]; from what I've
seen the leaf syntax will in many cases the syntax will be identical
and and many authors have contributed, directly to the documentation
and publishing their configurations using it, blogging, etc..

You can anonomously retrieve the use-package project (including the
README.md file where I recommend starting) without visiting any
website, using a command such as:

  git clone https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package.git

The most important advantage from use-package for improving your
load-time will likely be the :defer keyword.  This can be complicated
but fortunately use-package will generally "do the math" for us, such
that in most cases I'm able to write simple forms like:

  (use-package name-of-a-package
    :config
      (forms-to-run-before-require)
      (can-go-here)