Re: Licensing question

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Licensing question
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 00:13:05 -0500

> If I copy and properly attribute code distributed under a GPL-compatible
> license like Apache 2 or Expat, will the code necessarily be ineligible for
> inclusion in GNU Emacs?

Except for rare exceptions, in order to include code in Emacs, the
code's copyright needs to be transferred to the FSF, at which point the
FSF can choose to use the GPLv3+ regardless of the original license of
the code.

IOW the question is not "what is the original license" but "has the
copyright owner signed the copyright paperwork".

In your example, I'd say the main question is: did you copy enough of
the code you've seen that we'll need to get the copyright paperwork from
the nvim-tree-sitter author?
And the question would be the same for any other license (whether GPLv3,
proprietary, you name it).

        Stefan