Re: Visual font looping setup

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Visual font looping setup
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 00:20:22 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-11-20 23:31]:
> > Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 23:16:32 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> >
> > Sure that I look into separate program and then try to set it in
> > Emacs. I have to know how to type the font and to choose various options in
> > Emacs to have the same font actually selected. It is tedious.
>
> ??? All you need is to tell Emacs which font to use, as in
>
>   emacs -fn FONT-NAME

Sure it is possible to set it.

After long time of using some fonts I can see that there is certain
pleasure effect to change the fonts, like relaxation. Process of
selecting various fonts is tedious. Imagine starting emacs with emacs
-fn for 30 times just to see which font is maybe better or not. I have
to see it on the code and on plain text and in dired. Normally I
choose Mono fonts that will by default not disalign dired or other
aligned text and will be well readable.

Default font how I see it is always Courier and I wonder why Emacs
selects that one by default. On every computer I have that font comes
by default. It appears too small and too tiny to be readable. That is
first thing I am changing to something more readable. Normally to
DejaVu Sans Mono or Fira Mono or something similar. But after long
time I like to change fonts for a while to relax.

> And similar in your init file, using one of the available methods, for
> example set-face-attribute.

I guess I will play with those options for various modes. For Dired I
need Mono or fixed font to align the columns. I would like to have
different fonts for different modes. But then chasing default mode
could change them all.

How could I change font only for dired mode? There is no face like
dired-default or similar. I just found nice writing font and it is not
Mono but it looks like mono or almost as Courier. Dired and tabulated
list mode is distorted with this font.

But I do not find default fonts for dired or other mode.

I can see that fixed-pitch is monospace but Dired is not monospace if
I choose default font that is not monospace. Then there is bunch of
options in Dired, I would need probably to turn off each Inherit
option to make Dired behave.

Somehow I expect to have fixed font in those modes where it is
necesary. Manual says fixed-pitch, I was thinking Dired would use
fixed-pitch settings, but it uses default font as it inherits.