Re: Semantic Bovinator, where is it?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Semantic Bovinator, where is it?
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 21:53:34 +0100

On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 11:00:19PM +0300, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> [2020-12-03 22:10]:
> > Not 100% sure on this but I believe you're looking for `M-x find-library
> > RET semantic`.
>
> Maybe is that what is meant with it. I cannot find "Bovinator" inside.
>
> That Wikipage may contain useful references but most useful one to
> find the actual software is not there.

Quoting the two first sentences of the Semantic manual:

    "Semantic is a suite of Emacs libraries and utilities for
     parsing source code.  At its core is a lexical analyzer
     and two parser generators (‘bovinator’ and ‘wisent’)
     written in Emacs Lisp"

There it is, the bovinator. It was the first (and thus for that time
the only) parser in Semantic. At that time, AFAIR, the whole thing
was called Semantic Bovinator back then. Bovinator acquired a younger
(but stronger) sister called Wisent, which is an LALR parser fashioned
after Bison.

Cheers
 - t