Re: Floating Point computations in elisp

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Floating Point computations in elisp
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 14:07:52 +0300

* Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> [2020-12-18 11:23]:
> Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:
>
> > How can I do floating point computations in elisp
> >
> > (setq frc (/ tpd 60.0))
>
> Like (/ (float tpd) 60.0).

Thank you. But in the above example there is decimal 60.0 that would
do the same result.

(eql (/ (float 1) 60.0) (/ 1 60.0))
(eql (/ (float 20) 60.0) (/ 20 60.0))

While this would not be same:
(eql (/ 20 (float 60)) (/ 20 60))

because I did not know `float' I was always adding or using something
like 1.0 in divisions, like:

(/ 10 30 1.0) to get the same effect.

Now when I know `float' I could use:

(/ (float 10) 30)

As it is more descriptive, it gives maybe more explanation in the code
on WHY, as inserting 1.0 there does not necessarily makes it clear
WHY.