Re: Eww can't display Chinese characters correctly.

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: Eww can't display Chinese characters correctly.
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:35:48 +0100

>> Could be, but it could also be that the request made by Eww doesn't
>> correctly specify the encoding of the "中文网" string, so that Google is
>> then lead to believe we're using iso-8859-1?
>
> Nope.  Google puts this in the form:
>
> <input name="ie" value="ISO-8859-1" type="hidden">
>
> I'm assuming they then have some JS to magically make this work.

I checked the page source in chrome or safari, they don't seem to have
iso-8859-1 in the page, instead something like this:

<input class="gNO89b" value="Google Search" aria-label="Google Search"
name="btnK" type="submit" data-ved="0ahUKEwjD_5XP9NntAhWIBGMBHbV0BZUQ4dUDCAw">

Also, if i copy and paste below url directly in safari or chrome, it
would display the page correctly.

http://www.google.com/search?gbv=1&iflsig=AINFCbYAAAAAX9eJ576dBCkZ_8MT30T-VWnLwzH6yNx4&bih=&biw=&source=hp&hl=no&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google-s%C3%B8k&q=+%E4%B8%AD%E6%96%87%E7%BD%91

On the other hand, when I just mouse-click from emacs, which calls
browse-url, then safari will display the same garbage there, simlar to
what OP posts.

I wonder what browse-url is doing in between.

Is browse-url also used by eww?

--
William